Watch out easy steps to check water adulteration in milk by using Lactometer (Hydrometer) in house. (Voice : Hindi)
Milk is a common drink of our daily diet. But mostly time, it may have Urea, Formalin, Vanaspati, Starch and water as impurity. Packed milk from brands as well as milk purchased from milk-vendors can be adulterated so it is always better to check for them before consuming.
Water turns out to be the most common adulterant in milk. It reduces the nutritional value of milk. If contaminated, water poses a health risk to consumers.
How to check water adulteration in Milk by using lactometer :
A lactometer measures the density of milk. It tells the user how much water is in the milk that is being sampled. This is an instrument used to determine the richness of milk.
Lactometer : Measure the amount of water in the milk. A Lactometer is used to find out the amount of water in the milk. It works on the principle of specific gravity of milk. It consists of a Test-Tube and a Meter Bulb.
Using this instrument is very simple. Put some milk in the test-tube. Dip the meter bulb in it, the bulb going in first. You will notice that the meter bulb floats. The reading on the meter indicates how pure/impure your milk is.
The deeper the bulb sinks, the more dilute/impure the milk. If the reading is at the red mark, it shows that the milk is rich and pure.
Milk is one of the most important ingredients for children's overall development, it is essential for adult health as well. Milk is also widely used in food item like desserts, baking, tea and coffee etc.
Most of the commonly used adulterant for milk includes Detergent, White Paint, Caustic Soda, Refined Oil and glucose.
The most common reason for milk adulteration is the difference between demand and supply of milk. In order to meet the demand, the suppliers usually adulterate the milk and increase the quantity.
The adulterants like Salt, Detergents and glucose add to the thickness and viscosity of the milk while starch prevents curdling of milk.
These adulterants are hazardous and cause irreversible damage to the human body.
The detergents in milk caused food poisoning and gastrointestinal complications. The other synthetic compounds cause impairments, heart problems and cancer.
Due to lack of hygiene in milk handling and packaging, detergents (used during cleaning operations) are not washed properly and find their way into the milk. Other contaminants like urea, starch, glucose, formalin along with detergent are used as adulterants. These adulterants are used to increase the thickness and viscosity of the milk as well as to preserve it for a longer period.
Water turned out to be the most common adulterant in milk. It reduces the nutritional value of milk. If contaminated (with pesticides, heavy metals), water poses a health risk to consumers
Adulteration of water in milk is so common in India. But it is not much toxic to health as adulteration of drinking water is.
Water Adulteration Test in Milk without Lactometer :
- 1) Slip Test : To identify adulteration from water, a simple test is milk slip test. Run the drop of milk on smooth or polished surface. Pure milk leaves some residue or traces behind. However, milk mixed with water will simply flow out.
- 2) Reduction Test : Boil milk on slow heat for 2-3 hours till it solidifies and become hard (khoya). Rock solid, rough residue means the milk is adulterated while oily residue means its of good quality.
- 3) Checking for Synthetic Milk : Synthetic milk is made by mixing chemicals and things like soap in natural milk. Synthetic milk can be easily identified by bad taste. It feels soapy when rubbed and turns yellowish when heated.
- 1) Salt and detergents are added to adjust lactometer reading to add thickness to the milk.
- 2) Contaminate milk can be countered by ensuring proper sanitation and hygiene at all processing stages as well as by boiling and pasteurizing milk properly.
- 3) Nitrogenous compounds are added to artificially enhance the taste of protein in milk.
- 4) Synthetic milk turns yellowish on heating. With some experience, one can easily make out whether it is pure natural milk or a synthetic liquid sold as milk.
- 5) One of the most common form of adulteration in milk is mixing of urea as it does not changes the taste and is little difficult to detect.
- 1) Make sure you boil the milk on slow flame till boiling point. Avoid re-boiling milk as it brings down the nutritional value of milk.
- 2) While the easiest way to adulterate milk is by adding water, reagents and prohibited neutralisers like hydrated lime, sodium hydroxide, sodium carbonate or sodium bicarbonate are added to milk to prevent spoilage.
- 3) One really can not do anything when it comes to the packed pasteurized milk. Such products undergo a series of processes and it is hard to trace the point of adulteration.
- 4) Since the adulteration techniques have advanced these days so it is very difficult to identify adulteration. You can not find any adulteration until you use some catalyst to check its purity.
- 5) There were 37 pure Indian breeds and due to foreign activist’s effort almost all the breeds are now extinguished with only few breeds left.
- 6) Mixing water in milk is a common practice by local milkman. Having harmful elements like Urea, Carbonates and Bicarbonates, salt, sugar, Hydrogen Peroxide, Neutralizers (NaHCO3, Na2 CO3, NaOH, Ca(OH)2 etc.), sodium chloride, etc. added to our everyday drink is completely unacceptable.
To stop milk adulteration near your diary, you should do research and keep an eye. Visit your dairy periodically and keep a strict watch.
In future, we will have a GPS-based technology that could be used to track the exact location where the milk supplied in the cold chain has been tampered with so it will help to stop milk adulteration in packaged milk.
In Hindi :
सिर्फ भारत ही एक ऐसा देश है जिसमे सबको पता है कि हरेक चीज़ में गड़बड़ हैं। फिर भी लोग मज़े में जी रहे हैं। न कोई आवाज़ उडाता न कोई प्रदशन करता है।
बस जी रहे लाचार बन कर। बस इंतज़ार कर रहे हैं अपने बीमार होने का। हर घर में आपको कैंसर के रोगी मिल जायेंगे। न जाने कितने लोगो की जान जा रही है कैंसर से रोज़।
फिर भी हम बैठे मूक दर्शक बन कर। कोई आवाज़ नही कोई उफ़ नही। बस इंतज़ार कर रहे खुद के बीमार होने तक।
आप कितना भी कमालों, आप कभी स्वस्थ नही रह सकते जब तक आपका खाना शुद्ध न हो। फल सब्जी में pesticides का जहर हैं। दूध या तो नकली हैं नही तो उसमें आपको फीमेल हॉर्मोन्स जरूर मिलेंगे। जिससे लड़को और लड़कियों का हॉर्मोन्स सतुंलन बिगड़ रहा हैं।
बस ऐसी ही स्वाथीपन के कारण हमने 1000 साल गुलामी झेलीं। और अब भी हममें लालच और स्वथीपन कूट कूट के भरा हैं।
धर्मितकता तो बस दिखावा भर हैं। जागो, कहि देर न हो जाये। सरकार से मिलावट के खिलाफ सख्त कानून की मांग रखों।
अगर कुछ नही कर सकते तो बस इस वीडियो को देखें, और लोगों को लगतार भेजते रहे। 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻